Children, Mobile Phones and the Internet Experts' Meeting RESPONSES|
Question 1: What is the main action point YOU will want to take as a result of this meeting?|
- I'm going to research this more, think about it and try to get this issue more firmly on the international child protection agenda in an informed, not superficial way
- Listen to user's voice
- Incorporate mobile safety messaging onto online safety sites
- Need to drive an understanding of mobile/kids issues within my organisation
- Organise EU-level discussion on way ahead
- Socio-cultural research proposal development - Aim: Put Children's solutions into the debate. Investigation of strategies children develop to deal with dangerous situations, bullying, unwelcome advances, invasions of privacy etc. in regard to mobile phones
- To think about a business model which may increase children's use of mobile phones e.g. low spec terminal handset
- Think more about balancing children's privacy against children's protection
- Important issue for me is a helpline in the UK. We didn't know and were surprised about the 24hr service and that it's free
- I'm a journalist so what I have to do is very simple. I'll work and do my best
- Lobby my company to include child protection to be included in the annual/quarterly reports to stockholders as this will push introspection throughout the company
- To contact the telephone and internet companies in my country and urge them to band together and form an industry association in partnership with the government to make the co-regulatory approach work in the convergence space
- Work with children's commissions and youth advocacy bodies in Australia to be aware of the opportunities and dangers for young people of emerging mobile technologies
- Seek establishment of hotlines/helplines including support for children
- Child helplines to be easily accessed nationwide
- National/sub-regional expert meetings
- Self rating of ICRA
- Ask my company to consider sponsoring/co-sponsoring a mobile educational initiative
- I want to take the European and Japanese experience back with me to Canada in order to stimulate dialogue among stakeholders and inform our research and development of educational resources
- Build a "positive" aspect to kids and mobiles. Too much focus to date on negatives!!
- I want to publish what children say to Childline
- Ensuring appropriate safety content is available on sites
- Promote more international benchmarking in our regulation of the mobile phone and internet technology
- Buy a mobile phone with a camera
- The mobile Internet will be a part of the body in the future. So we should not let a child walk around the world alone
- Help strengthen understanding between research and industry on a national level
- ECPAT/Stop will want to provide an enriched hotline for children and parents in collaboration with Surfmonkey Asia.
- I want to raise people's awareness by education and training.
- I want to meet and communicate with various people and informate each other.
- I want to educate and enlighten people so as not to restrict usage of the Internet that is very useful tool.
Copyright (C) 2003 Internet Association Japan